Arlington, VA ~ April 19, 2017
Cambridge Associates was founded 40 years ago to assist nonprofit institutions with the investment of their endowment assets. Today, we are a Global organization that provides investment planning, research and management to over 990 clients including nonprofit institutions, private clients (families) sovereign wealth funds and pension plans. The firm advises on the full range of assets and strategies, including equities, bonds, real estate, venture capital, hedge funds, leveraged buyout funds, oil and gas partnerships, and many other types of investments. We monitor the performance of nearly all major institutional investment managers and conduct in depth research on those we believe have potential to add value to our clients after fees. Our clients were amongst the earliest to invest in alternative strategies such as hedge funds and private equity so we have unparalleled depth of knowledge in these areas as well as substantial committed research resources and data.
Cambridge Associates has a staff of more than 1,100 professionals, including 200 Investment Directors and 150 Investment Associates, based in nine offices located in Arlington, Beijing, Boston, Dallas, London, Menlo Park, San Francisco, Singapore and Sydney. Ours is a long term business with long term client relationships. Accordingly, we take great care in selecting employees with both the aptitude and the willingness to build a long term career in a collegial, hard-working and intellectually challenging team.
The technology team supports C|A’s investment consulting practice through engineering proprietary systems that uniquely position the company within the industry. Our systems form the backbone of interactions with tens of thousands of investment funds and with our clients. The firm offers a dynamic environment, competitive compensation plan and industry leading benefits.
As a Database Administrator, you will be responsible for managing a Microsoft SQL Server database environment, administration of procedures and practices regarding data access, and supporting development. This includes working with project teams to determine changes needed to the databases, and then implementing or assisting with implementation of those changes. You will be working with systems administrators, development teams and applications support staff across the organization. Performance of duties will sometimes require work outside of regular business hours.
We are looking for someone who has a strong initiative, is eager to learn and to teach, and is able to work both independently and as a team member.
Candidates must have the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff; and must be able to interact in a service-oriented environment.
- Engage system/storage admins and development teams productively
- Develop automation within the environment for SQL server deployment and updates, maintenance, custom software deployments, etc.
- Assist with development of standards and policies around data /access security (end-user access vs dev access)
- Maintain and monitor database environments for 24/7 availability. Performance of duties will sometimes require work outside of regular business hours. May be expected to act as first contact in a rotating, on-call schedule for database support.
- Develop alerts, reports and automated processes for failed jobs.
- Collect and analyze database and system performance measurements over time.
- Optimize procedures, indexes and table schemas according to trending data.
- Enforce security measures and policies by minimizing scope of exposure to logins, applying security patches and performing necessary security audits.
- Review design and deployment of any data objects from development environment to production.
- Troubleshoot database and hardware-related problems.
- Monitor SQL Server activity, performance, error logs, event logs, space usage and security on a daily basis.
- Manage and execute daily operational jobs including backups, index/statistics updates
- Monitor and maintain transactional replication and Always on configurations.
- Bachelor’s Degree – a degree in a computer science, engineering, mathematics, or science preferred
- 5+ years related professional experience
- Relevant technical certifications
- Advanced knowledge of T-SQL development, SSIS, SQL internals
- Experience supporting an environment with significant product and software development
- Ability to proactively identify, troubleshoot and resolve live database systems issues.
- Knowledge of HA and disaster recovery principles and practices, including planning, testing, backup/restore
- Knowledge of Windows Server architecture and patching
- Understanding and experience with transactional replication, clustering and other HA solutions
- Experience installing/upgrading/patching/configuring SQL 2008/2012/2014
- Knowledge of PowerShell
- Knowledge and/or experience with 3rd party backup and performance monitoring tools a plus
- Knowledge of SSRS and SharePoint integration a plus
- Experience with SAN/Storage technologies, virtual environments and OLAP/SSAS data warehouse solutions a plus
- Exposure to new database technologies such as NoSQL, in-memory databases, graph databases and/or data grids a plus
- Knowledge of source control and release management systems a plus
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Team work
- Stress tolerance
- Ability to raise difficult issues in a constructive way
Want to apply to this job? Please register first. »